No, not the Booker Prize. Or the Nobel Peace Prize. The bastards have stopped answering my phonecalls.
It’s a blogging thing. The lovely Lily of Don’t Quote Lily has nominated me for The Versatile Blogger Award, which is obviously lovely, because it means that my trusty little stickmen and the various things that I have said on this blog have gone down well. So thank you Lily, and thank you, dear readers, for continuing to listen to me when I say things – my little stickmen and I are very appreciative.
Bless him, so excited.
So anyway, here are the rules for this award:
1. Add the award to your blog – I’ll let you know when I’ve worked out how to do that.
2. Thank the blogger who gave you the award and add a link to their blog – done and done, thank you Lily.
3. Mention seven random things about yourself – see below for said randomness.
4. List the rules – these are the rules and this is rule number 4.
5. Give the award to 15 or more bloggers – see below for the lucky blogging dudes.
So, random things about me.
1. When I’m alone in the house, I quite often put on the music channel and pretend I’m a better dancer than Beyonce will ever be.
2. I love Blackpool. And I don’t care what anybody says.
3. If someone said to me: ‘Becky, we’ll pay for you to fly over to Las Vegas, live in a hotel room in the Bellagio, and be a Las Vegas showgirl for a year, but you have to give us your soul’, I would say ‘WHERE DO I SIGN?’
4. I like bananas, but banana-flavoured stuff can go to hell.
5. When I was 18 I recreated, by ear, several major classical works (and a bit of Steely Dan) on my dad’s super-technical keyboard and turned it into a symphony, which I presented to my parents for their Silver Wedding Anniversary. And, incidentally, you can listen to it here. Just call me Becky Beethoven.
6. Also when I was 18, I said the following: ‘I want to have at least one novel published by the time I leave university, and by the time I’m 25 I want to have my own sitcom on the BBC.’ Because when you’re 18, that’s how easy it is.
7. I would rather be a cowboy than a pirate.
So there we are. And here are the 15 amazing bloggers who I am nominating for an award, in no particular order:
The Evolution of Insanity – some ruddy funny ranting going on there
Speaker 7 – for her unbelievably amusing reviews of the Godawful Fifty Shades trilogy
The Blog of Funny Names – the sheer volume of funny names they unearth is quite magnificent
This Is Ferg – amazing photos and goings on in Barbados
Death On The Stairs – some of the funniest anecdotal banter I’ve ever read
Idiot-Prufs – very amusing observational thoughts
Best Bathroom Books – best title ever (and some pretty fun stuff inside, too)
Anxiety and Biscuits – funny life thoughts
Dysfunctional Literacy – excellent thoughts on life and writing
Joe’s Shitty Ideas – he shouldn’t put himself down, because his ideas are frankly genius
Kristin Bergene – a very good writer, from bits of prose to everyday bits and bobs
WonderWimp – constantly amusing, very insightful
Live to Write – excellent blog for writers, loads of interesting articles and tips
Clotildajamcracker – weird name, funny blog
My Parents Are Crazier Than Yours – very prolific blog, probably doesn’t need this award, but it’s still some funny stuff
And after all that I’ve worked out how to stick the award nomination picture on my blog:
Thanks again to Lily, and to everyone who listens to the things I say. You guys are the best.
21 thoughts on “Becky says things about … being nominated for an award”
Woo hoo! First on the list, that means I’m the first best! 😀 that symphony thing is amazing, if this is you, playa has skills yo.
And I’m quite possibly sure Pulp Fiction Oscar could be made into a feature film. 🙂
Playa has skills yo!! That’s the best thing anyone’s ever said to me. Yes it is me. Whilst you are obviously great, I should probably add ‘in no particular order’ to my list of nominations… I don’t want anything being thrown… 🙂
Thank you for making my day, Becky.
Hey-yo, thanks for the nod (we’ll take the 3rd place honors ;)).
I have to say, you should get another award for that picture of the banana yogurt doing the walk of shame. Made me giggle.
AHHHH I still haven’t put up ‘IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER!’ Must do that now! 🙂
I found you via the Funny Names guys and you are my new fave. You should get your own sitcom. Animated stick figures & voiceover. I’d watch.
Thank you! Stickmen are the best, aren’t they? So simple and yet so effective! 🙂
Sweetness! I would pay oodles of cash to see you get your own sitcom – as long as it had a funny name like the Becky Gabo Mayhew show.
Haha yes! That would obviously be the best. By the way, when are you going to do a blog on the best name I’ve ever heard – wait for it – Graham Onions. English cricketer. Heard it the other day. ONIONS!!
That’s a good one. I might have to work that one into our posts in the near future, stay tuned…
Thanks for letting me share in the accolades. I feel you should also win an art award like the Picasso Artpalooza Award…if that exists and if it doesn’t it should.
Oh, I loved all the things I said I was going to do when I was 18. I’ve now edited it to all the things I’m going to accomplish when I’m 112.
Can we set up that award immediately? 😉
I know, Things We Said We’d Do When We Were 18 could be a blog in itself, couldn’t it?
Thank you for the nomination, it is exactly as lovely as your symphony which is playing as I type this. Did you perform it live?
How seriously are you taking the novel and sitcom writing? I’d be very interested to hear how you’re going about writing for screen 🙂
The symphony wasn’t live, it took about 4 months to put it all together! I recorded it on my dad’s keyboard. I’m writing a novel at the moment, but no sitcoms so far!
I really like the way most of it flows seamlessly, but certain segments seem to deliberately jar with each other for a laugh. I hope it’s deliberate or I just insulted your skills.
I look forward to reading more about your literary exploits. Hopefully there’ll be stick figures aplenty.
“Very amusing observational thoughts.” That’s it? Where’s the word brilliant? Anyway, congratulations on the award, and thank you for the nomination. I do feel obligated to point out that Don’t Quote Lily also nominated me for this award, so you’ve essentially re-nominated me. I think that makes me doubly special, and yes brilliant.
I am so sorry for omitting the word brilliant. The word I actually meant to use was ‘phenomenal’ but I didn’t have the confidence I would spell it correctly. And seeing as you’ve been nominated twice, I think you qualify for ‘magnificent’, so well done you!